Smelling the lilacs

Smelling the lilacs

Thursday, July 16, 2009

My first post

Okay, I'm brand spanking new at this. I am in the process of figuring out just what I really want to 'blog' about -- child-rearing, (I have one daughter), running and exercise (whenever I can), gardening (as long as the mosquitoes aren't too bad), life in south-western Vermont (kind of slow and mellow), reading (voracious), wholesome cooking and natural living (eating organic and the like), knitting (in wintertime, a favorite pastime), American art and my erstwhile dissertation (very scholarly), or just life in general with all of the above peppered in.

This is what inspired the title of my 'blog' -- a psalm, song or prayer, I'm not sure which. It is included towards the end of the wonderful book, "The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint" and I found it incredibly moving:

What earthly sweetness remains unmixed with grief?
What glory stands immutable on the earth?
All things are but feeble shadows, all things are
most deluding dreams,yet one moment only,
and death shall supplant us all.

1 comment:

  1. A little of everything sounds good! I look forward to reading what you write.

    ReplyDelete